PSYCHOLOGY 494 - 4 CREDIT HOURS
|CLASS SESSIONS -||45 HOURS|
|ORIENTATION -||6 HOURS|
|OBSERVATION -||6 HOURS|
|INITIAL CALLS -||6 HOURS|
|FULL WITH SUPERVISION -||6 HOURS|
|TOTAL CONTACT HOURS -||69 HOURS|
- INTRODUCTION - The philosophy of service and volunteer requirements
- PROCEDURAL MANUAL – The practices and protocols of handling the calls on the Line
- MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEWING, or NON-DIRECTIVE COUNSELING –The theory and practice of motivational interviewing and how it is applied to telephone counseling
- INTRODUCTION TO ROLE-PLAYING – Each training session will include role-playing practices on the subject discussed, as well as including the subject matter of all previous sessions.
- STRESS MANAGEMENT –Understanding stress, and how to use it in a positive way.
- SUICIDE PREVENTION & CRISIS INTERVENTION – The psychodynamics of self-destructive behavior, its causes, prevention, and intervention.
- DEALING WITH FEELINGS –The theory and practice of accepting the caller with compassion and empathy and helping the caller recognize and accept his own feelings.
- LOSS AND GRIEVING –Dealing with loss and grieving as it relates to personal, parish, and Religious Life issues.
- COMMUNICATION WORKSHOP –Practicing the art of communication; what is said, is not necessarily what is heard. How do you become a better communicator? (Interactive workshop format)
- ROLE-PLAYING & COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Continuation of Communication Workshop
- ADDICTIONS –Counseling attitudes toward alcohol/drug use, pornography and sexual behaviors, the psychology of the abuser, the problems, treatments and resources and how to deal with them.
- ADDICTIONS, CONT’D. – Continuation of above.
- FAMILY VIOLENCE –Understanding the issue of family violence and the role of the Pastor, counselor, or teacher.
- RELIGIOUS, MORAL & ETHICAL ISSUES –How not to let your own religious, moral and ethical values manipulate the caller.
- FINAL REVIEW - Questions and responses concerning policies, protocols, etc.
- GRADUATION – Certificates of completion are given.